Useful Information

Ambulance services

Dial 999 in an emergency

Non Emergency: (01473) 749333


The Ipswich Hospital, Heath Road, Ipswich Tel: (01473) 712233

Colchester District General Hospital, Turner Road, Colchester Tel: (01206) 747474


Constable Country Practice - East Bergholt Tel: (01206) 298272

Dedham Chemist, High Street, Dedham Tel: (01206) 322109

Emergency Frequencies

BBC Radio 1 FM 97.6 - 99.8
BBC Radio 2 FM 88.0 - 90.2
BBC Radio 4 FM 92.4 - 94.6
BBC Suffolk FM 103.9
BBC Essex FM 103.5 MW 729 (Colchester)
Essex Radio FM 102.6
Heart FM 96.1 (Colchester)
Heart FM 97.1 (Ipswich)
Vibe FM 106.4 (Ipswich)

District and County Councils

The parish of Stratford St Mary comes under the District Council authority of Babergh District Council and our area is Mid Samford.

Our District Councillors are Sue Carpendale ( and Fenella Swann ( Both attend parish council meetings to update residents on initiatives and activities at District level.

Babergh District Council’s address is: Corks Lane, Hadleigh, Suffolk, IP7 6SJ

Contacts can be made by telephone on: 01473 822801 (Main switchboard) or 01473 825878 (Minicom service)

Their website provides useful local and planning information and can be accessed on: -

Our County Council is Suffolk County Council, and our County Councillor is Gordon Jones ( who also regularly attends parish council meetings and provides county council updates. 

Suffolk County Councils offices are at: - Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, Suffolk IP1 2BX

Telephone Number: - 0345 606 6067


Parliamentary Member

The local Member of Parliament is James Cartlidge who lives in Assington near Sudbury.

Constituency Office Tel: 01473 823435


In an emergency call 999

Our local police station is based at Capel St Mary.  It is manned from 10am to 12noon Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Telephone number: 01473 383115

Please be aware that this is not an emergency telephone number and any non-urgent crime reports should be made through 101.

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police - when it's less urgent than a 999 call.  101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

When to call 101?

You should call 101 to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers.

for example, you should call 101 if:

  • your car has been stolen
  • your property has been damaged
  • you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • report a minor traffic collision
  • give the police information about crime in your area
  • speak to the police about a general enquiry

101 has been introduced as part of the government's wider work to improve access to the police, ease pressure on 999, and to help to efficiently and effectively tackle crime and disorder.

What is the difference between 101 and 999?

You should continue to call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

Other Numbers:

Martlesham Police Headquarters: 01473 613500


Waste & Recycling Calendar 2018